I have spoken to two people in the last two days who are dealing with “dreamcrushers”. I’ll be honest, hearing about folks like this makes me a little mad, but I choose to channel that energy into helping others deal with this type of situation.
You can love someone or like them, but this does not give them a free license to crush your hopes and dreams. If someone truly loves you, they will want to see you win – even if that means giving you the space to do something they don’t agree with or think is a good idea. Love is not control, it is being open to allow others to pursue the best, happiest version of yourself.
I moved to NYC 6 years ago, after much hemming and hawing, anxiety, fear, and lot’s of “you’re crazy why would you do that???” from other people. It hurt me that some of the people I loved the most, could not see my vision. I felt like they didn’t believe in me, and it truly hurt. It also led me to delay moving here for 2 whole years! I was so busy buying into everyone else’s bs, that I lost confidence in the dreams I had for myself.
- You cannot make people see you vision. Your brain is unique, so trust your own vision and great ideas even when others don’t see it.
- You cannot make people believe in you! They either will or they won’t…..(see point number 4)
- Believe in yourself and stop seeking validation from outside. If you depend on others to make you feel good or solid in yourself, you are at their mercy for self-esteem!
- Get away from those damn haters! Go where the love is.
I am so glad I listened to myself and made the move. I am now with the love of my life, after both of us powering through 3 years of long-distance relationships. I have found an exciting career path and am on my journey to expressing all of my talents and skills, to be my happiest me!
I encourage you to go for it, whatever IT is for you. Please feel free to comment or reach out to me for support, questions or advice! xo
- Shirt – 🌈 (great for a cheap but comfy tee!)
- Jeans – H&M ripped section DIY
- Heels – Forever 21
- Coat – MissGuided